The business of doing business, costs and obligations and so forth.

Fornis sum fundit.  Or was that "fugit"?

I tell you, we as people take to heart lessons come by hard, such that we inside are shaped much more by our failures than our successes.  Think of it, there isn't a convenient Roman Polanski or Roger Goodell for everybody to take-up and carry-on with, and sometimes we're left with a lonely evening playing with our purse pistol, some Derringer pussified shooting iron that we use to threaten squeegee bums.

Incidentally, I'm good with .45s, which is neither here nor there, and my aspirational gift-gun is a Desert Eagle, chromed, in .45 caliber.

But most recently I suffered both a kerflop and a vindication in the form of a new business venture.  My idea was to stock wholesale small engine parts, bundled according to model.  Off the top of my head, during brainstorming I identified a sweetspot price point, where the bundle was convenient and cost effective, and after site-royalty, shipping and taxes, I made a little prophet on the thing.

It was, in fact, such a good idea that someone was already doing that, and having a degree of success by the statistics.  Made a tidy sum on a kit for a model that hasn't been sold since 2018 or so, but there were literally thousands upon thousands sold mass-market those prior years, and there are a few still going out there that sometimes need parts.

Imagine it though.  Its such that a convenience price of 8 dollars for an air filter, and there are grudging sales at that price, with grumbles a plenty over the high price point of a piece of cut foam.

I get that same piece for less than 50 cents.  25-40 cents, thereabouts.

Ditto spark plugs, retailing for 2 dollars or more, and I get those in quantity for cerca de 60 cents each.

Sometimes though, a darkness comes over me, and I can't help but brandish contempt for the muck-a-mucks that pull the wool over the eyes of the consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in the material. Feel free to post, and speak your mind. "Democracy is the conundrum in which good peoples repair."

Numbers: Will Tabitha Ever See The Beach?(Jobs in April, Paramount, Disney) and the freaking moon.

*The jobs numbers for April 2024 weren't the big story everyone wanted it to be:  some 170k in a month, slightly low; the bigger story t...